This instilled in Sam a thirst for power. He began with guns, hunting animals around the world. When that got boring, and he sought out Vampires. He discovered the capacity to steal a bit of their power by drinking their blood, and made himself into a Ghoul.
It was during these hunts that he stumbled across the library of a Thaumaturgist, and he began to teach himself ritual magic (at the time in development, Thaumaturgy = Hedge Magic). In the course of gaining such knowledge, he somehow discovered the Ritual of Sacred Rebirth.
He proceeded to Skin the necessary werewolves to make himself one, and began to recruit other disgruntled Kin for his cause.
His lust for power still lay unsatisfied. He searched for items of power, until he found two that made him nearly invincible. The first was the Conquistador's Sword, a sword that allowed him to take the powers of those that he killed with it. (As the Gift: Thieving Talons of the Magpie or Royal Privilege.) The other item was the Staff of the World Tree, which would (temporarily) block Paradox, which was necessary when he took the powers of a Mage.
Still, this was not great enough for him. He sought out a sleeping Vampire of great age and power to kill with his Sword. However, the battle that ensued caused a great strain on his Staff, and it broke. Killing him in the process as the Paradox stored since he obtained it was simultaneously released into him.
- More information on Samuel Haight, most in the form of story outlines, can be found in the following books, arranged chronologically:
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Valkenburg Foundation - Haight's use of the Ritual of Sacred Rebirth.
- Vampire: The Masquerade, Storyteller's Handbook to the Sabbat - Haight is freed from an Umbral prison to continue his dark quest.
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Rage Across the Amazon - Haight's final use of the Conquistador's Sword.
- Mage: The Ascension, Book of Chantries - Haight schemes to acquire the Staff of the World Tree.
- White Wolf Magazine, Issue #40 - Haight features in an article titled "Interview With A Murderer".
- Vampire: The Masquerade, New Orleans By Night - Haight learns of the many costs of the Embrace as a path to immortality.
- Werewolf: The Apocalypse, When Will You Rage (Fiction) - Haight is forced to suspend his personal war to save an old friend.
- Mage: The Ascension, Chaos Factor - Haight finds the Antediluvian whose power he intends to steal, and which ultimately destroys him.